5.05.2009

Study | Pt. 3


























STUDY
During this time of study and exploration I will be examining butterflies and moth's emerging from their state of Chrysalis. I'm hoping to liken this state of emergence to the life of a Christ-follower.

THE EXPERIENCE
When I first heard the word "chrysalis", what came to my mind was images of a weekend youth retreat at my home church in North Carolina. I'm not sure the weekend retreat was called that, it may have been "metamorphosis" or something similar. However when I googled Chrysalis one of the first things to come up was a weekend "Christian renewal movement" called Chrysalis. Now, I'm not trying to judge a book by it's cover but I am, Chrysalis looks to be stuck in the early 80's trying to appeal to a modern generation of teens and young adults. They need some serious revamping of their website and material. None of that really matters. The reason the camp is called Chrysalis is that it compares itself to the state of chrysalis that butterflies and moths enter into their cocoons. Here's a video of a Monarch Butterfly emerging from it's chrysalis state.


In this cocooned state a caterpillar transforms from being something wrinkly and gooey and yucky looking to something that is truly breathtaking to
behold. The same is true of the Christ-follower before Christ we are covered in the filth and dirt of our own sin and wrinkly gooey yuckiness. Then
Jesus washes us clean with his shed blood and transforms us into something beautiful. We are made glorious. It's such a beautiful thing to be known
as one who as been washed clean by the blood of the lamb. I'm remind of the words from Steve Fee's song Beautiful The Blood off the album We Shine.




















I never knew death could be so sweet
I never knew surrender could feel so free
I never seen such meekness in majesty
That the blood of Jesus was bled for me

And now I sing freedom for all my days
It's only by the power of the cross I'm raised
The King of Glory rescued me

How beautiful the blood flow
How merciful the love show
The King of glory poured out
Victorious are we now

Never knew through these nails would love unfold
And never knew these wounds would heal my soul
I've never seen such beauty and sorrow meet
The blood of Jesus was bled for me

Now I'll sing freedom for all my days
It's only by the power of the cross I'm raised
The King of Glory rescued me

How beautiful you are
How merciful you are
How glorious you are
Christ the Savior

How beautiful you are
How merciful you are
How glorious you are
Christ the Savior

No comments:

Post a Comment