4.10.2009

Vacation Day #1 - Jesus Loves Moms Too

Kristin and I got up this morning and headed out on our spring vacation away from the hustle and bustle of normal life into the hustle and bustle of relaxing enjoyment.... we made our way south and stopped at a true southern BoJangles complete with Cheerwine making our way through the first of the Carolinas and ending up in the second, that's where' I'm writing from now. We're in Summerville, SC visiting some friends of ours, Darien & Anita Gabriel. Darien was my youth pastor for most of my middle school and all of my high school years. He was then and is now still one of my greatest spiritual influences and mentors. Tonight we spent some time with the community of which he is the pastor and watched the movie The Passion Of The Christ by Mel Gibson, the first time for me since it's silver screen release, in it's entirety. I found myself getting emotional watching this film, but I didn't get emotional where I thought I would. I didn't cry at the crucifixion or the scourging. The moments that tugged at my heart the most where the moments between Jesus and His mother Mary. Maybe it's because I view my mother and the most influential person in my life ever and that I have such a strong connection with her that these moments were where I choked up a bit. I'm not sure. What I do know is that I was deeply moved by Jesus relationship with her. It's good to see Jesus' more human than deity side once in a while. I'm so thankful for what Christ did on the cross. I'm also thankful that he wasn't some Zeus like Grecco-Roman deity firing lightning bolts down from the heavens. I'm thankful that Jesus had a real mom that he loved like I love mine.

1 comment: