4.06.2009

The Cross + (Anything) = Worthless































1 Timothy 2:5-6 (NCV) - There is one God and one mediator so that human beings can reach God. That way is through Christ Jesus, who is himself human. He gave himself as a payment to free all people. He is proof that came at the right time.

The cross of Christ plus anything else is worthless.

Here in Timothy as I read this morning I'm reminded of this fact. Yesterday in our Glory Revealed book study that we do with the powersource worship band the topic was the exclusivity of Jesus. We looked at Jesus claims to be THE way THE truth and THE life. This wasn't A way, or a POSSIBLE truth, or IF YOU'RE LUCKY life. Jesus was exclusive in the fact that he claimed to be God. There was no way around it. There were not other paths to eternal life.

In John 14:6 Jesus is exclusive:
John 14:6 (NCV) - Jesus answered, I am the way, and the truth, and the life. The only way to the Father is through me.
Another passage we looked at was in Jude:
Jude 1:25 (NCV) - He is the only God, the One who saves us. To him be glory, greatness, power, and authority through Jesus Christ our Lord for all time past, now and forever. Amen.

Over he past few weeks here at Thomas Road pastor Jonathan has been working through a series called "Jesus is Enough". He's walked through how Jesus is enough in our good times, our bad times, our strength, our weakness, and Jesus is enough for our salvation. His sacrifice on the cross covers all our sin. His death on the cross was enough. If we needed anything other than the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ for our salvation then we decide that the cross wasn't enough and we cheapen Christ's death.

This week is Passion Week. It is the week which leads up to the event of Jesus death and resurrection (easter). It's hard for me to read through the crucifixion passages and not distance myself from them. I don't like to remember that I am a major player in that story. I distance myself from the fact that Jesus was nailed to that cross because of my sins. I distance myself from the fact that Jesus had to take on all the pain and suffering and guilt of my sin and pay the penalty of death that was rightfully mine.

But, this story is my story.
Jesus died on the cross for me.
Out of love he laid down his life.
Because of love he took the nails.
All for love.

For me to look at that scenario and brush it off by saying it wasn't enough for my salvation makes me sick to my stomach.
The death of Jesus Christ on the cross was more than enough for my sin and the sins of the entire world.
He is it.
Jesus is truly the answer.
I'm so thankful for the cross.
I'm thankful for the cost.
I'm thankful for this sinner saved.

Blessings to you and yours this week. Remember the cross of Christ and be thankful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment