3.23.2009

Belief & Doubt

James 1:5-6 (NCV)
"... if any of you needs wisdom, you should ask God for it. He is generous to everyone and will give you wisdom without criticizing you. But when you ask God, you must believe and not doubt. Anyone who doubts is like a wave in the sea, blown up and down by the wind."

I started reading the book of James today. It's been a little while since I've read it and I decided to begin going back through it. Since I just finished up Hebrews it also goes in sequence so that's convenient. I normally kind of skip around in my Bible as far as books go. I rarely read everything in the canonical order. This morning as I was reading I obviously came across the above verses. It got me thinking about when Solomon asked for more wisdom than anyone on the planet and God gave it to him. The kicker for me in these verses is how we are to ask God for wisdom. We have to go into it with belief and trust that He will do what what He says He'll do.

Do I pray that way?
Expecting God to actually do something?
Or do I just h
ope it will all work out in the end?
If I'm honesty with myself, as I hope you will be, sometimes I don't pray like that.
I pray as if it won't help.
I ask God for wisdom as if I don't really want it or think He can give it.

That is a sad state of mind that I need to correct.
God forgive me for when I'm to self centered to let You be God.

No comments:

Post a Comment