7.06.2009

Quarter Of A Century - Looking Back On 25 Years Of Life


Genesis 5:25-27 (NCV) - "When Methuselah was 187 years old, he had a son named Lamech. After Lamech was born, Methuselah lived 782 years and had other sons and daughters. So Methuselah lived a total of 969 years and then he died."

Methuselah was the oldest record person to ever live.
He lived for 969 years.
He had kids, sons and daughters.
Then he died.
That's it.
That's all we know.
That's all that the account in Genesis tells us.

There's even a pine tree named after him.
The "Methuselah Pine" is the oldest living tree species on the planet and all it's known for is that it gives birth to leaves and is old.
Pretty exciting huh?
No not really.


If your life was listed out for all to see...
Your major accomplishments.
Your biggest failures.
What would it say about you?

Would all we know be.... "He lived _____ years and then he died." ?

What can be said of my life?
If I was listed out for all to see...

What will be written of me?
I'm typing this to you on my 25th birthday. I've been alive for a quarter of a century.
As I look back and evaluate my life I feel I'm doing pretty good...

I have an amazing relationship with the Creator of the universe who died to set me free.
I have the most beautiful and loving woman on the planet to call my wife.
I have 2 loving parents, who in a few years will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary!
I'm closing on a townhouse on the 23rd.
I own a car that is paid off.
I'll finish my 2nd Masters Degree in the Spring of 2010 with hardly any if any debt at all.
I'm fairly healthy... at least average... not on the poor side of things.
I get to work at a job where I design art and create art and bring others to an understand of how that art can point us to Jesus. I get to work with kids here and I love my job. I love my coworkers. They are more like family that office mates.
The world would look at my life and say... yeah he's doing ok.

What does God think of my accomplishments?
What does God think of my day to day?
Does my life point others to Him?
This is my hearts cry. It's what I want to do above all else and I sometimes feel like it's the hardest thing to do.

I don't want to just be known for having kids (eventually) and growing old.
I want my life to count for Christ.

Father, thank You for these years of life.
Thank You for how You've blessed me.
Guide me in the way I should go.
Give me courage to follow You when I can't see or hear You.
Let my Yes be Yes and my No be No.
Let me live and move and breathe Your glory and love and truth.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment